1. Full body workout. Swimming uses all the muscles in the body so whether you swim a gentle breaststroke or hammer butterfly, you will get a full body workout.
2. Great for general wellbeing. Just 30 minutes of swimming three times a week alongside a balanced, healthy diet and lifestyle is one of the best ways to stay fit and healthy and maintain a positive mental outlook.
3. De-stresses and relaxes. Swimming regularly can lower stress levels, reduce anxiety and depression, and improve your sleep patterns.
4. Burns those calories. Swimming is one of the most effective ways to burn calories. A gentle swim can burn over 200 calories in just half an hour, more than double that of walking.
5. Lowers the risk of diseases. As well as being a great form of cardiovascular exercise, swimming just 30 minutes a week can help to guard against heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.
6. Supports the body. Water supports up to 90 per cent of the body’s weight. So if you sprained an ankle at touch rugby or have a long term injury or illness, swimming is a brilliant way to stay active.
7. Increases your energy levels. Inactivity and not ageing is often responsible for people’s lack of energy. Just 30 minutes of swimming three times per week can boost your energy levels through increased metabolic rate.
8. Exercising without the sweat. If sweating puts you off other forms of exercise, fear not! As a swimmer, you’ll never feel sweaty no matter how hard you work because the water around you is constantly cooling you down :)